WHAT IS THE VOICES SCHOLARSHIP?
VOICES established a scholarship for students who have participated in the Odyssey of the Mind program in Virginia for one or more years. Odyssey of the Mind seeks to develop skills in creative problem-solving, teamwork, perseverance, and good sportsmanship.
Eligibility: The recipient of this scholarship must be a current high school senior or college undergraduate who demonstrates these qualities.
A VOICES scholarship in the amount of $500.00 will be awarded to a Virginia student who will be attending any university, college, community college, or specialized school a minimum of 9 semester hours in the fall following the year of award.
This scholarship will be awarded for four consecutive years to one student as long as the student is enrolled as a full-time student. Any current graduating high school senior or undergraduate college student may apply.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE VOICES SCHOLARSHIP?
In order to be considered, your application must be completed in full and received no later than two weeks prior to the VOICES state tournament. March 23, 2024.
Your application must include:
- The Scholarship Application Form
- One letter of recommendation. Your letter can be written by your Odyssey of the Mind coach; high school administrator, counselor, or teacher. It should not be written by a parent. The letter of recommendation should be no longer than a page, and should address your problem-solving capabilities, teamwork, perseverance, creativity, and sportsmanship. Therefore, you are encouraged to choose a person who is familiar with those qualities in you. Ask the person completing your letter to place his/her letter in an envelope and seal it before returning it to you.
- A response to both (a) and (b). Your response may take any form, format, or style you wish.
- How has Odyssey of the Mind contributed to making you the person you are today?
- Design a problem that could be used in spontaneous competition. It may be verbal, verbal hands-on, or hands-on. Include charts or pictures and scoring information as appropriate. Then indicate one or more solutions to the problem that could be considered “creative.”
Return your completed Application Form and supporting materials to:
VOICES Scholarship Committee
C/O David Tsuda
42793 Littlehales Terrace
Ashburn, VA 20148
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I RECEIVED A VOICES SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship recipients will be announced at the state tournament. If a recipient is not present, he or she will be notified by mail.
Creative Opportunities Unlimited (COU) SCHOLARSHIPS
Creative Opportunities Unlimited (COU) offers 3 types of scholarships:
Wayne R. Kehrli Memorial Scholarship
The Harold Kurtz Scholarship Odyssey
Please read for eligibility, application requirements and submission deadlines here https://www.creativeopportunities.org/scholarship-housing-grants.
Deadline for applying for 2023-2024 COU scholarships is March 30, 2024.
WHOM SHOULD I CONTACT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP?
For any and all questions pertaining to the COU individual scholarships please contact Michael Bojanski. Be sure to include “COU Scholarship Question” in the subject box so that we can direct your question to the right expert. As a reminder, please do not contact CCI about the scholarship process.